Sunday, September 21, 2008

Illdot Loves Sleeping :]


So ever since I can remember I have gotten headaches.  For the longest I thought that everybody got them, and that it was normal to get them just about everyday.  So I suffered with them throughout high school and college, and it wasn't until my last semester of my senior year that I decided to get them checked out.

The previous year or two before that I had 2 acute migraine attacks, and to do my best to describe these would be to say it was like a lightning bolt striking your brain and staying there, and I pretty much ended up in the emergency room both times, lol.  So after talking to my parents, I found out that most people rarely or never get headaches and that we should consult the neurologist.

So the first medicine I took worked for about a month and a half then eventually became ineffective.  One of the side effects however was weight gain.  I gained about 15 pounds and reached my all time heaviest weight of about 173 pounds or so.  (This was also right after I had turned 21 so everyone blamed it on my recent alcohol consumption).

So when I went back to the neurologist to start on my new medication, I started on this medication called Topamax.  So far its been working a little better, and one of its side effects is weight loss, so I've lost all the weight I've gained, lol.  But one of the other side effects is that I need an almost humorous amount of sleep.

For example, this morning or should I say afternoon, I woke up at 3:30 PM, after about 12 hours of sleep, and yesterday I had a 3 hour nap between 6 and 9 PM, and the previous night, I had about 10 hours.  And even now, I am still a bit tired.

I still get headaches, but as I am adjusting to the new medicine and the sleeping seems to help deal with the headaches, and the doctor said the eventually I will be able to develop a natural sleep cycle... but until that time, I will be sleeping all crazy!

illy!


No comments: